Pages

Saturday

Satisfying Meatless Spaghetti Sauce

After reading a book called “The Liver Cleanse Diet, Love Your Liver and Live Longer” by Dr. Sandra Cabot, I have decided to go on a 8 week liver cleanse with my husband, whom I recruited, hehe.

I think this book should be considered a must read for everyone. It’s full of useful information. I think there are a lot of us that don’t realize the importance of the liver and exactly all it does in the body. Did you know it’s the largest organ and performs over 500 jobs?

The reason I’m sharing this is because I am hopefully going to be sharing some delicious recipes that are beneficial and fit right in with the guidelines of the cleanse. The gist of it is to eat LOTS of whole food - fresh vegetables and fruits, beans, nuts and fresh squeezed juices. No dairy (ice cream, cheeses, milk, etc.), butter or margarine, red meat, or sugar (she does use a little brown sugar in some of her recipes and even raw sugar but your suppose to use mostly just honey or stevia). You are allowed chicken, eggs, seafood, pasta, potatoes and bread (whole wheat, rye and sourdough plus extra virgin olive oil and other cold-pressed oils. I am going to try to at least stay in the guidelines but well, you know. Either way it's going to be good for me.  

While I won’t be sharing every meal with you I am going to post the healthy low fat recipes that I think would be enjoyed by most people anytime, cleanse or not.



The first is a simple recipe for meatless spaghetti sauce. It was so easy and flavorful. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of you have made something similar before, but here it is anyway. Oh, and the pictures are lacking because, well, I didn't take them. I will be better in the future, hopefully.


In a large skillet saute 1 onion and 4 chopped garlic cloves in about 2-3 tsp of olive oil until the onion starts to soften.

Add button mushrooms, quartered (as many as you want, I love mushrooms), 1 yellow squash, chopped, 2 large carrots, grated, pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste, basil and italian seasoning. Continue sauteing until mushrooms start to render there juices and turn color.

 Add about 1/2 cup of red wine of your choice and simmer for 3-4 minutes.


Add 1/2 cup chicken stock and 1 large can crushed tomatoes.  Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.


Serve over whole wheat noodles.

I served this with a side salad full of lots of fresh vegetables, dressed with homemade Avocado Dressing, which turned out really good. I'll be posting that recipe asap.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I'll be making this shortly. Your blog is lovely, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, hope you enjoy the sauce.

    ReplyDelete