Thursday

Stovetop Mac-n-Cheese



This is my new go-to recipe for a quick creamy cheesy delicious Mac-n-Cheese. Nothing fancy, kinda like my picture. Just tons of gooey goodness. (It tightens up just slightly as it sits).

I, like many of you I suspect, have resorted to using box macaroni and cheese. You know the stuff, the one with the powder mix. 

I personally never cared for it so much, so I started hunting good recipes, with real cheese, sometimes several different kinds, thinking my family would be so happy and thankful. Well, they weren't. They actually liked the stuff out of the box. I think it's because it's not cooked in the oven and stays looser in consistency. That's the only reason I could come up with.

Well, this recipe is the answer. It was so good. I stood at the fridge off and on for 3 days eating it with my fingers, cold, out of the bowl. That's normal, right?

I think what put it over the top for me was the cheese I used. I had a small chunk of smoked white cheddar and a small chunk of mozzarella that I combined with the yellow cheddar. I loved the hint of smokiness. Oh, and I used  2% condensed milk, it made me feel better.
Definitely a keeper,,,,Thank you Ezra Pound Cake.

Oh, yea, I thought this was cool. I used up some leftover shells that I had on hand. Some large and some small. While they were cooking, the small ones got stuck inside the larger ones and gave it this great bite and the cheese got stuck in the layers inside the big shell. BONUS! I may do it on purpose next time.


Stovetop Mac-n-Cheese

1/2 pound (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
10 ounces cheddar, shredded (can be replaced with your choice of cheese or cheeses)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and ground mustard (if using). Set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add two pinches of salt to the water, and cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain the pasta, and put it back in the pot, keeping it off the heat.

Add the butter. Toss until the butter has melted.

Stir in the egg mixture, and add the cheese.

Place the pot back on the stove over low heat, and stir the pasta for 3 minutes or until creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment