Thursday

Spicy Beef Bean and Squash Stew

  


If you've read my last couple of posts, you know that I've recently enjoyed a few recipes made with carnitas meat like Beef Carnitas and Crispy Carnitas Chipotle Wraps. There's usually only 2 of us around for supper, so we had a lot of meat.

I'd had some beef chorizo hanging out in my fridge for awhile now, so I decided I needed to use it up. That's how this recipe came about. It turned out really flavorful and so delicious.

It's a great way to use up leftover meat. If you don't have carnitas meat hanging around, you could just as easily use ground beef or even chicken for that matter. And if it's spicy, all the better.

Spicy Beef Bean and Squash Stew

5oz Beef Chorizo
1 cup beef carnitas meat, or meat of your choice
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 16oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 16oz can pinto beans, drained
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups butternut squash, bite size pieces
4 cups broth, beef or chicken
1 1/2 cups broccoli, bite size pieces
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat up a heavy pot. Add 5oz of beef Chorizo and cook for 3-5 minutes, breaking up with a spoon.  Add onion, garlic, 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin; stir to coat  and cook an additional 3 or 4 minutes.

Add drained beans (rinse black beans), diced tomatoes, squash and chicken broth. I had some beef carnitas meat left over so I added that too. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 10 minutes more. Adjust seasoning to taste. (The chorizo is somewhat salty, so wait until the end to season.) Turn off the heat and let sit covered, for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I have half a butternut squash to use. This might just be the ticket! ~Megan

    ReplyDelete