Wednesday

Homemade Hot Sauce

Pin It
I found the coolest recipe/idea in Bon Appetit for all those fresh chiles 
so many of us have this time of year.


It's actually fun to make, really easy, and helps preserve the 
fruity and floral notes in just picked peppers.

 I used a combination of several different types, like  jalapeno, cayenne, fresno and 
even a couple of sweet banana peppers. I didn't seed the cayenne but since this was 
my first attempt at this, I did seed a couple of the fresno. I think my sauce turned out fairly 
mild for a hot sauce. It has heat but not overly so, which I like. Next time I may go a little hotter. 

The article stated that if you want to tame the heat of the really hot ones, like 
cumari and habanero, to pair them with milder peppers, such as poblanos, 
Anaheims, or even sweet bell peppers.

You can dab it on grilled ribs, toss with wings or add to any sauce you want that added extra punch. You could also put it in a cool bottle and give it as a gift.


Linked with Sunflower Supper Club: Weekend Potluck and Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday.

Master Hot Sauce
Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 pound stemmed fresh chiles (such as jalapeño, serrano, Fresno, or habanero; use one variety or mix and match)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar

Pulse chiles and kosher salt in a food processor until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a 1-qt. glass jar, loosely screw on lid, and let stand at room temperature for 12 hours to ferment slightly.

Stir in vinegar and loosely screw on lid. Let chile mixture stand at room temperature for at least 1 day and up to 7 days. (Taste it daily; the longer it sits, the deeper the flavor becomes.)

Purée mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Place a fine-mesh sieve inside a funnel. Strain mixture through sieve into a clean glass bottle. (Hot sauce will become thinner and may separate after you strain it; shake vigorously before each use.) 

DO AHEAD: Can be made up to 4 months ahead. Keep refrigerated.


Source: Bon Appetit magazine.

9 comments:

  1. Looks cool!!! Sounds not so difficult to make either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not hard at all. I think I'm going to drizzle it on fish tacos tonight or maybe mix it with the slaw. Sounds good to me!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE hot sauce and this looks fabulous! I've never tried making my own hot sauce before. I'm definitely giving this a try. Thanks so much for linking to the Weekend Potluck, we really appreciate it! Have a terrific weekend!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get to the farmer's market to get some peppers tomorrow! We love hot sauce and to be able to make it to our taste will be great. Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely gonna have to try this one :) We love hot sauce!

    Stopping by from Weekend Potluck!

    ReplyDelete


  5. Nice article keep on writing. Thank you, wonderful job!

    hot sauce

    ReplyDelete