Pages

Sunday

Split Pea Soup

I love winter. It's probably my favorite season. I love everything about it....the holidays, the weather, and the food. Comfort food......love it, and speaking of, I made the most delicious split pea soup the other day. Maybe it was just the fact that I haven't had it for a long time but it was so good and really hit the spot and it's a very simple recipe.



All I did was saute up 1 onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 carrots (all small chop), 2 bay leaves and some red pepper flakes in olive oil until softened. Then I added 2 ham hocks and browned on both sides a few minutes. Add 1 bag of split peas, rinsed, and 6-7 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until peas start to break down and are tender, stirring occasionally, apprx 1 hour, adding more broth or water if it gets to thick. Remove hocks and cut off any desired meat and add back to soup.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with croutons. SIMPLE and DELICIOUS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment