Wednesday

Beef Tips in Gravy

I hate to admit it, but I'm what some people would call a home-body. 
I know, it's not a great trait to have.

My mom and dad live just 10 minutes from me and I haven't been to see them since somewhere around Christmas. I know how terrible that is so I had them over for 
dinner last night along with my sister Jane, just so we could visit. I really don't 
know why I don't do that more often. I love to entertain, especially my family.

Anyway, it was such a good time that I've decided from this point on, I'm 
determined to get out more and visit friends and family. Well,  family anyway, 
cause that's who I like to hang with.

Ok, on to the food. I decided to keep it really simple and easy, 
and....oh-my-gosh, was it good.


I made:  Beef Tips in Gravy served over Rice Pilaf with a Fresh Salad and Rolls. 


Then for dessert we had Pineapple Upside Down Cake.


It couldn't have turned out any better and everyone loved it. Perfect meal to 
entertain with because it's not time consuming at all. 

Great evening and a great meal.


Get a good brown on the beef tips. That gives it tons of flavor.


Love the ease of this. Just throw it all in a pot and cook it.


It gets nice and thick and the meat is really tender and delicious.

I started these beef tips about 2 1/2 hours before we were going to eat. 
Once they were done I just let them sit on the stove (covered) 
until it was time to heat them up again.


Doesn't this look scrumptious?

Serving it over the Rice Pilaf was a perfect fit, but I'm sure it would be just as 
tasty over mashed potatoes or noodles.

Linked with


Beef Tips in Gravy

2 pounds top sirloin roast, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
pepper
3 cups beef broth, divided
2 large onions, sliced
1 large red pepper, sliced
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 bay leaves
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves

Directions
Combine the meat with the flour, salt, paprika and pepper in a large plastic storage bag and shake to combine.

Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large cast iron Dutch oven or high-sided skillet over medium-high heat and brown the meat, in batches (use remaining 2 tbsp of oil for second batch), until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. 

Add 2 cups of the beef broth and stir, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to loosen any browned particles. Add the onions, bell peppers, basil, garlic powder, bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. 

Add the remaining cup of broth, taste for seasoning and continue to cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour longer, or until the meat is very tender and the gravy is thickened and flavorful. 

Add the parsley and serve over rice, potatoes or egg noodles. I served mine over Rice Pilaf.

Rice Pilaf

3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup orzo pasta
1/4 cup onion or 1 shallot, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup long-grain rice
3 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Directions
Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the orzo, onion and garlic and cook until the orzo is golden brown and the onions are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the rice, then add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 18 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Quick Question - can I cook this the required two hours in my crock pot insteac of my oven? That is whatI am going to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best beef tips and rice recipe I have found yet and I have been looking for a very very long time!!! Thank you so much! You are not too far from me I live in twinkle town Arkansas lol

    ReplyDelete