Thursday

Taco Soup

This is one of my favorite soups.

Easy to make, full of yummy veggys, huge flavor and low in fat.
What's not to like?

I know it's been really hot, especially here in Arkansas, and soup isn't usually the first thing that comes to mind, but, I was staring in the cabinet trying to figure out "what's for dinner" and noticed all the cans of beans I have. I mean, LOTS of beans, all kinds. I'm not sure if I thought there was going to be a shortage and stocked up or what. Anyway, the first thing that came to mind was "make taco soup". But then I thought, too hot, then I remembered the left over taco meat from the night before that I needed to use up, so THEN I thought,  it's never to hot for taco soup. And I was right!!! It was as good as ever, 112 degree temperature or not.


Since I had the meat already cooked, I sauteed my pepper, onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil, then added the taco meat.

Next I  threw in the beans and corn.

Chopped my chilis (dont know whats up with the blurry pic), which I buy whole and chop myself because I hate the skin that shows up in the prechopped cans, and added them along with

the tomatoes, seasoning packets, water and chili powder.

Simmer for a few and you end up with something like this.

Doesn't this look great?


I like to eat mine with cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, sometimes avocado,
and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

Perfect!


Taco Soup

2 lbs. grd beef or turkey
1 lg onion, chopped
1 lg bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans, undrained
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 small can green chilis
1 can rotel
1-2 cups water
1 pkg each taco seasoning and ranch dressing
Chili powder

Brown meat, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a large pot. Add beans, corn, tomatoes, chilis, rotel, seasoning mixes, water and chili powder. Simmer 30 minutes.

Top with your favorite toppings and serve. (Cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and a sqeeze of fresh lime juice are a  few of mine.)

Note: I like to use whole green chilis then chop them myself (can't stand the peel that is sometimes in the pre-chopped cans).

No comments:

Post a Comment