Pages

January 29, 2013

Stovetop BBQ Ribs with Cheesy Grits w/Corn & Kale

What an awesome supper this was. Fast and really easy too.


I can't take credit for the ribs because I actually found the recipe somewhere online, but they are fabulous. Easy easy easy with just a few simple ingredients most of us keep on hand!


Now, I can take credit for the grits,,,and I will. They are crazy good.


Love the slight hit of sweetness you get from that little bit of fresh corn that runs 
through it and the kale boosts up the healthy factor. 

The first time I made a version of this, I used fat free half & half which worked
 perfectly. This time I used 1/2 cup of heavy cream with 1/2 cup of water 
for the simple reason, I was out of 1/2&1/2.

Either way, the grits end up creamy and rich tasting. You can also 
substitute any flavor of cheese you choose. I think Havarti, Pepper Jack, Swiss, 
Cream Cheese or Goat Cheese would be excellent choices.

Linked with: Weekend Potluck
                 Foodie Friday

Pin It


Stovetop BBQ Ribs

6 Country Style Ribs, boneless
1/4 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
1/4 cup Ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tbsp Soy Sauce, low sodium
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 cup water

Cheesy Grits with Corn & Kale

1 cup Quick Cooking Grits
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Half & Half, fat free will work
2-3 stalks of Kale, core removed, chopped
4oz Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 Ear of Corn, kernels removed (may use 1/2 cup frozen or canned)
Salt and Pepper
Green Onions

Ribs: Whisk together steak sauce and next 5 ingredients. Place ribs in a large saucepan and pour the sauce over the top. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Replace lid back on the pan at an angle, leaving space for steam to escape to help reduce and thicken sauce. Cook another 25 to 35 minutes or until pork is very tender and sauce is thickened and sticking to ribs.

Grits: In the meantime, combine chicken broth and half & half. Bring to a boil in a medium size saucepan. Whisk in fast cooking grits to combine, making sure there are no clumps; stir in kale. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes (or recommendations on package). Whisk in cheese until melted; stir in corn and heat through. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper if desired.

Garnish with green onions.

4 comments:

  1. It's great that this rib recipe is so simple; but really I'm all about the grits. I love me some creamy grits, and I love that you healthified (just made that up) them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've been pinching a bite of the grits right out of the fridge pretty much every time I walked by it today. Addictive,,,,even cold.

      Delete
  2. Andrea--these grits look great. I've not made grits before--do you think I could make them, chill overnight, then have them keep warm in a slow cooker for a potluck lunch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, there just as good the next day. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete