Tuesday

Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I made some enchiladas the other day using this homemade enchilada sauce and
 served them up with some Authentic Mexican Rice.


I found the recipe in one of my Southern Living magazines some time ago and thought it sounded good. Finally got around to making it and really like the deep rich flavor. 
Much better than canned.


It calls for 1/4 cup of chili powder and since mine is medium heat, I left out the 
ground red pepper and thought it turned out with the perfect amount of heat. 
If your using regular chili powder I would definitely add some red pepper, 
but use a little less if you don't like things spicy.

Linked with Sunflower Supper Club: Weekend Potluck
Rattlebridge Farm:  Foodie Friday
The Chicken Chick:  Clever Chicks Blog Hop


Pin It


Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup chili powder
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup minced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
15 oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp cumin
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper

Cook flour and chili powder in hot oil over medium heat, stirring often, 2 minutes. Stir in onion; cook  3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook stirring often, 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients and 3 cups water. Cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or until thickened.

5 comments:

  1. Andrea. Bookmarked--I have one lone pack of slow roasted tomatoes left in the freezer that would be a great sub for the canned sauce.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight.

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/. AND starting Wednesday June 4th I will be hosting a Wordless Wednesday link party. Hope you will join us!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness your picture says more than 1,000 words. I HAVE to try this recipe for Enchilada Sauce just looks mouth watering. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete