Tuesday

Scalloped Ham and Potatoes

I hope you all had a Happy Easter! I know I sure did. I made a big ham for some of my family that came over Sunday afternoon and now I'm left with thinking of ways to use it up.

One of my favorites is Scalloped Ham and Potatoes.



I've had this recipe since the early 80's and it's still my favorite.
Very simple, and most importantly, delicious.

Here's how I make it:


Melt your butter and add flour.


Whisk it together and let it cook for a few.


I like to whisk in the milk first and let it slightly thicken then add my soup.


Whisk that together and set it aside until you need it.


Once you have your ham cut up and the potatoes and carrots ready, just layer them in your dish and lightly season, repeating until everythings in there.


Pour the soup mixture over the top, then


add a layer of cheese. I think I used some cheddar and havarti. Good stuff!


Bake it up, let it sit for a few, then enjoy.


Simple and delicious. Just add a tossed salad and a roll and ring the supper bell.
 It's a real family pleaser.

Linked with Weekend Potluck.


Scalloped Ham and Potatoes

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp of flour
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked ham
3 cups potatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can milk
Minced onion
Shredded carrots

Heat oven to 375*

Melt butter in a skillet or saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook for a few minutes. Whisk in milk and soup until everything is combined. Turn off heat.

Thinly slice potatoes, no need to peel, and grate up 2 medium size carrots.

Grease a 2 qt casserole dish. Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom, sprinkle in some carrots and some minced onion (I like to use dry minced onion in this because I like the flavor it gives and also because my kids would actually eat it when they were younger, but fresh would be good too), season with a little salt and pepper, then add a layer of ham. Repeat this process until all ingredients are used, then pour soup mixture over the top. I like to cover with a layer of cheese. Use whatever flavor you have on hand.

Cover and cook 60 minutes, uncover and cook 15 minutes more. Let cool slightly then serve.

1 comment:

  1. I know Hubby would love this! I'd love for you to share at Let's Party! https://themarkandjanshow.com/2018/01/10/lets-party-3/ ... we look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete