Thursday

Chicken and Quinoa Soup

Pin It

I don't know why I don't whip up soup for lunch more often. It's so easy, and healthy, and usually low fat, and tastes good. I could go on, but why?

Today is actually a little on the cool side, so with leftover chicken in the fridge, it just made sense.


I had been thinking about adding rice or potatoes, but then I saw the quinoa in the cabinet and knew, that was the ticket. I'm eating a cup of it as I type this, and let me tell you, it is delicious.

Quinoa has huge health benefits and is a great way to thicken up soups of all flavors.


The amount of soup I made reflected the amount of broth and chicken I had handy. It can be easily increased, as needed.

Chicken and Quinoa Soup
Serves 2-3

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup quinoa, rinse if needed
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan and sauté onion, carrots and celery, bay leaf, sage and garlic powder, with a fair pinch of salt and pepper, until vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.

Add chicken stock, bring to a boil. Add quinoa and simmer 15 minutes; add cooked chicken and simmer 5-10 minutes more, or until vegetables are cooked. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if necessary. How much is going to depend on the salt in your broth, if any.

Serve with fresh chopped parsley (if desired).

2 comments:

  1. i have never tried quinoa but i might just have to make this dish! awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete