Wednesday

Whole Orange Cake


I've seen this recipe floating around and knew I wanted to give it a try.
Loved it!


It's not an overly sweet cake (probably because the entire orange is used). 
Not only is it a delicious dessert, it's awesome with coffee in the morning 
or tea time in the afternoon. 

This was actually made for a morning ladies bible study so I made 
my glaze a tad thinner and didn't use a whole lot. It was perfect.


Huge hit!

Linked with Foodie Friday and Weekend Potluck.
Pin It


Whole Orange Cake

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 
3 large eggs
2 oranges (about 1 lb. total), ends trimmed, then cut into chunks and seeded
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. orange juice

Preheat oven to 325°.

Coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with cooking-oil spray. In a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs.

Whirl orange chunks in a food processor until somewhat smooth but not puréed. Add 1 1/2 cups orange mixture to batter and beat until blended. Add flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder to bowl and mix just until smooth. Spread batter in prepared pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few crumbs clinging to it, about 55 minutes. Cool pan on a rack 10 minutes, then invert cake onto rack and let cool completely.

Whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake. Let glaze set before slicing.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe I have never baked with oranges before! This sounds like the perfect cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathleen. We sure did enjoy it. After my son finished off the last of it, he told me I needed to make it again because he didn't get the complete gist of it, lol.

      Delete
  2. Andrea,
    My son sells band (or wheelchair basketball) fruit fundraiser oranges, so I get a case of them at a time, and after a bit I really struggle with finding ways we want to eat them.

    I'm bookmarking this post for January when the first weeks of Yippee! Orange slices! has died down. It looks delicious.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete