Tuesday

One Bowl Chocolate Cake


I wanted to make something chocolatey yesterday, but I didn't want to spend much time on it, 
and it had to be good. I found this recipe in a stack of several hundred (I have a serious problem with having to tear out every recipe that I come across in any given magazine because I know I'll need it some day), and since it is made in one bowl, I knew I needed to give it a try. I'm glad I did. 
It turned out really delicious. Dense but not dry with a great deep chocolate flavor.

When I came in from my walk the next morning, (my first of hopefully many, but that's 
a whole other issue), I found my daughter Chelsea and my grand baby Kasidee sitting at the table eating cake for breakfast. She evidently had spied it in the fridge and 
had to have some. She emphatically declared how delicious it was even after it had hung 
out in the fridge, sloppily covered (my 15 year old son covered it last night) all night long. 
That tells me this recipe is definitely a keeper.



I frosted it with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting. I use this recipe a lot. The cream cheese in it helps cut the sweetness so you don't get that sugar overload you get a lot of times with frosted cakes. 


ONE BOWL CHOCOLATE CAKE

3/4 cup cocoa powder, plus more for dusting pans
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
3/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp safflower oil, I used regular vegetable
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat over to 350*. Butter two 8 inch round cake pans; dust with cocoa. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined. Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Batter will be pretty thin.

Divide batter between pans. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. It only took 30 minutes in my oven. Let cool for 15 minutes. turn out from pans. Transfer, face up, to wire racks. Let cool completely. Frost with your favorite frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment